Fairport Harbor Fire Department
220 Third Street
Fairport Harbor, Ohio 44077
Emergencies: Dial 9-1-1
Non-emergency number: (440) 352-3620, Option 5
The Fairport Harbor Fire Department protects approximately 3,100 people in a 1.14- square-mile village, with an average of 950 calls a year. The village fire department has
reciprocal agreements with surrounding communities including Painesville City and Township and Grand River Village to provide additional personnel and equipment in the event of a large-scale incident.
The department consists of 13 members – six paramedics, three paramedic students and seven EMTs (including paramedic students) – providing fire protection, hazardous materials, confined space, water rescue (for all of eastern Lake County), rope rescue, and search and rescue. Various members of the department also serve on a variety of specialized area teams that include the Fire Prevention Bureau, the Fire Investigation Bureau and Rope and Water Rescue.
MORE CONTACT INFO
The department owns two fire engines, two ambulances, a 2008 F350 pickup truck, a special rescue trailer with two boats and a jet ski.
Village firefighters and EMTs receive continuing training including six four-hour Saturday drills per year covering fire-related topics; 12 two-hour drills per year on EMS-related subjects taught by Lake Hospital System. They also complete additional training from the State Fire School and Auburn Career Center.
The department offers education classes to the public, including:
- Fire extinguisher training
- Fire Safety Program for elementary students
- CPR classes are available; please contact Lt. Hribar
Firefighters perform free home fire inspections.
The Village smoke detector program offers free smoke detectors and batteries funded from aluminum can donations.
Fire department personnel sponsor annual events including a Pancake Breakfast and a Spaghetti Dinner. Fire department personnel participate in Fairport Harbor Community Days and give tours of the fire station to Boy Scouts and preschool children. Firefighters also help out with Homework Partners every school year. An Explorer Program is in the works.
The Fairport Fire Department was founded in September 1891 after several devastating fires. Over the next two years, the department purchased 1,000 feet of fire hose, two nozzles, 12 waterproof coats and hats, a ladder, six lanterns, badges and other necessary equipment. Thomas Irwin was appointed the first fire chief on Sept. 29, 1891.
A team of horses and a hose cart were soon purchased. The first mechanized fire truck, a Ford Chemical Truck, was purchased in March 1917 and a year later the team of horses was sold. A second fire engine was purchased Dec. 18, 1923. A fire bell, cast in 1893, sat atop the fire station and was used as a fire alarm. This bell is now encased in a brick structure in front of the current fire station at 220 Third St.